Thursday, September 11, 2003

...cont'd

I was pulling out of a parking spot within the first few times driving my newly crumpled vehicle, and still kind sensitive about it. I felt like people were going to just be STARING at the hideousness (it's not *that* bad) that used to be my pretty Rodeo and deeming me this horrible driver. (thank you, pregnancy horomones) Anyhow, this elderly lady (she looked about 80 or so) stopped her walking to let me out, which was kind enough. She was on the driver's side, so I was sure she was going to look at all the damage and make her judgements while either averting my eyes or giving me some negative look.

But you know, I'm not even sure she saw any damage at all. That little old lady was looking right into my eyes and smiling. Not looking at the car that was blocking her way, but looking directly at me, the person driving it, and smiling a smile that I could tell came from the inside out- not the one she'd been rehearsing for the cameras ever since they were invented. It made me smile.

It also made me think. How many people do I pass everyday thinking of them just as bodies I have to maneuver around, instead of seeing the people, the spirits, behind the bodies that made them where they are? And how many times have I acted in defensiveness because I wasn't comfortable with my life or situation, instead of allowing someone to make up their own mind, and give them benefit of the doubt?

I may seem like I'm reading a whole lot into a 10 second scenario, and maybe I am. But that lady put a fingerprint on my heart with her actions, and it's still there. So, maybe my sentimental 9/11 entry is encourage everyone else to think about the bodies around them and the people inside. Lots of those people are hurting, especially today, and I'm sure they all could probably really use and appreciate you taking the extra few seconds it takes to pause and leave them with a genuine smile, too.

Aww.

Quote for the day:

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right." -Confucious

Take care :)

PS: New Strong Bad today- WOOHOO! 

No comments: