Thursday, November 13, 2003

part 4

8:19: I am beginning to feel the flutter of panic in my stomach. They give Amy a little tube to put in his nose, and inform me that the cord was wrapped around his neck, and when he descended so quickly, it cut off his oxygen. After some coaxing, he finally cries. So does everyone else in the room.

I don't name him right away, since Randal and I still hadn't settled on a boy's name, but he feels like Aiden Kai. Randal calls like 1/2 an hour later, and I say, "Can you hear your son?" he says, "Yeah... how are you?" It's the first time I've heard his voice in weeks, and I almost start crying all over again. I say, "How do you feel about the name Aiden Kai?" he says, "Sounds great." and we start small talking a little bit, then he says, "Wait- it's a boy??" :)

They let him leave the boat early, and catch a flight out of LA instead of San Diego, into SFO instead of Oakland, and his plane lands at 11:30. Linda and Ray leave shortly after we get his flight information for airport, and make it back around 1:00am. I think he was kind of in shock when he came in the door, but very very happy. He should have been- he missed all of the hard part! :) He got into bed with us, and I handed the baby to him. He looked at me and said "Aiden?" and I said, "Okay." :)

I snuggled down next to both of them, and fell asleep breathing them both in as deep as I could.

quote for the day: "The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family." Thomas Jefferson

No comments: