Thursday, November 13, 2003

part 2

7:35: My contractions are increasingly long and painful, and without hearing from the midwife, we decide to just pack me up in the car and drive there anyhow, because I remembered from having Tobin that the car was NOT fun in labor, and I didn't want to be any worse off than I already was and have to be in transit.

7:40: I climb in on all fours in the back seat of my car, and Sean takes the keys. A few minutes later, the midwife calls and tells us to come on in, and we tell her we're already on our way.

7:45: I am having some INCREDIBLE contractions, and am trying to stay calm and give Sean directions, remember to breathe, and scream through my contractions. Poor Sean. I think I scarred both he and Tara for life. Amy was in the passenger seat, totally calm, saying "You do what you need to do. SLOW breathing, Julie. Make lower noises. You're doing great." Thank God for her.

7:50: I am BAWLING in the backseat, and screaming over every pothole in the stupid street. Poor Sean! I am reaching hysterics by this point, and can't feel my hands or feet. I feel my legs start to shake, and tell everyone I'm probably in transition (that happened to me with Tobin, too) so the baby is coming SOON.

7:55, I am in a heap in the backseat as we pull into the birthing center. My parents and Randal's parents pull up. I can't even BELIEVE the amount of pain I'm in, and I canNOT move. Vanessa (the midwife) comes to the car, and tells me that as soon as I have even the smallest break, I need to get out of the car. That was SO hard, but the SECOND after my contraction was over, I got up and told everyone to MOVE so I could beeline for the bathtub.

8:00: I am *almost* in the birthing center, but there's a nurses meeting in there, and I have to wait outside, barefoot in the rain, supported by Amy, for them to file out and give me interesting looks.

8:05: I'm having another contraction, and collapse on the bed, crying and screaming, and Amy lays right down with me. My butt is barely on the bed, which I am perpendicular to. Sean leaves the room, Tara is trying to make herself useful, but is clearly overwhelmed. I think this ir around the time Mom and Linda come in, too. Ray is in the other room with Sean. They need to check my cervix, but I can't move. I continue grabbing Amy's sweatshirt and screaming through my contractions- they tell me I'm 9 centimeters.

No comments: