Monday, February 9, 2004

So the title of this newest entry is "Loss" because there has been a lot lately, in and around my life. Loss of sanitly, loss of life, loss of words. A lot of people I know have had one of the hardest weeks EVER, and I just thought I'd comment on it, since I don't think coincidences are just happenstance. Cool. I just used happenstance. :)

The most publicly known loss was of both seeming sanity and lives and made the very first headline three days in a row in every paper I've had access to. A pretty close friend of mine- a guy I've known for years, trusted with my children, talked to weekly at least... killed his stepfather and aunt, criticually wounded his mother (still in ICU) and then ran, was getting caught and shot himself in the head. He died the next day. (www.pressdemo.com and search for "Christopher Topper" if you care to read the articles)

Amy called me at about 11:15pm Wednesday and said, "YOU are going to CRAP your PANTS. OH MY GOD." naturally, I said, "Okaaaay..." to which she replied, "Christopher Topper KILLED people. And he shot himself!" Enter loss of words #1. I mean, what do you say, really, besides (excuse my plain english) SHIT! I mean, really. It turns out the reason I hadn't run into him lately was because he'd been SHACKLED TO A WALL for 22 hours a day, coming down off of some meth somethingorother. (Probably smoking crank-gross.)

So they let him out and he loses it. Is it totally insensitive to say "Duh!" It is, I know, but geeez here, people. I mean, he was declared 'mentally incompetant to stand trial' so.... what, put him in rehab, the mental hospital, whatever- or, you know, chain him to a wall for 22 hours a day. Niiice. Do I even dare poke at the number of things gone horribly awry in this situation? I can't. I still can't even believe he's dead, and that he killed people. That's insane. There are no words. 

The following day, there was even MORE insane horrible  news, which I won't really take the liberty of sharing so the person, who has seen the err of their ways, can remain anonymous. Enter Temporary Loss of  Sanity here. I can tell you that it struck me as MORE monumental that the aformentioned situation, if you can believe it. Geeez. And then, an hour after hearing that load of crap, my mom calls to tell me Topper died. Geez. Loss of friend, Loss for words. So much loss.

No comments: