Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Model Musings

Whew!

I had another runway show this weekend on St. Patty's Day and it was a lot of work and a lof of fun. (imagine that) They spent FIVE hours on my hair and make-up! (or "pick up" as Aiden calls it) There was a lot of waiting in between, but Kira (the blonde in the green in the group of four- from left: Kira, Me (in drooping "fur" hair, but we'll get there) Casey Sue (of www.caseysue.com - check out her clothes!) and Lauren, her assistant and friend) was there taking pictures, which I have yet to develop. That's two rolls of film I'm sitting on now- one from Grammy's and one from this weekend. I'll get there!

It's always so interesting to step out of one's world and into a completel different one. This weekend, I went from domestic warrior goddess to furry haired fashion diva. Let me just tell you a little bit about what that takes- (aside from 5 hours of having your head poked, pulled, sponged, glooped and schelacked) I had to practice walking in heels for a couple of days (OH my aching feet/toes/calves/quads!) and spray tan (better than fake-n-baking and getting cancer in like a month) on top of watching a number of other runway shows to try and snag the vogue-ness of other models so I can pretend to know what I'm doing. :) When I develop the pictures, I'm sure they'll speak for themselves!

Casey was by far the top designer of the evening, and went last as a result. She is SO commited to excellence in her work, as well as incredibly creative and professional. She is one of the friends I've had for many years who I always come away from feeling inspired and happy. There are a selesct few that I have met in my life who just have that spark that spreads to everyone they know, and Casey is definitely one of them.

Among others off of the top of my head are Grammy (& Boppa... they're usually not too far from one another) Genery, Annie, Tara and Randal. I'm sure there are SO many others- luckily for me, I have a wonderful array of friendships on many levels, all of which inspire and fill me. These people are infectious, though. Infectious, I tell you! You simply can't walk away unchanged, even if it's shaking your head, muttering, "Never in my life have I seen/heard/thought...." These people guarantee to poke around in the little embers of the recesses in your brain and rekindle fires. At least for me, which is why I keep them around! :)

Things are going well at home-it's actually staying clean(ish- do houses ever REALLY get & stay clean? Please, tell me if you know! ...although if your answer is yes and it's yours, be prepared for your robe, crown and scepter (apron, hairtie & scrub brush) for you are the true Domestic Queen!) I am able to drop off and pick up Aiden from school, and have time to pick up the house/run errands/breathe in between, which is amazing.

Truly, it is the most simple of pleasures for me to straighten the shelves, vacuum (with my sweet new vacuum! That I bought for mySELF on Valentines Day. Yeah. Okay- trying to feel *good* about my domestication here...) So back to my finding joy in vacuuming, dusting, wiping... I still hate mopping, though. Not growing on me there. But I love what it feels like to walk into a clean, well balanced room. I *LOVE* it. I love everything having its place, whether functional or sentimental. It makes me feel so much better about what I have and who I am, both of which are a lot.

Well, once again my life is calling, but I'll try and write more when I get those other pics in (tomorrow...?) more about the kids and Randal and whatever else I feel like at the moment. :) I hope you all are well- I'd love to hear from you, too! Feel free to comment anytime!

quote for the day: "And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne Williamson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, thank you very much for the beautiful pictures of all of you -- it's refreshing to get them. Congratulations on the modeling too!
"It's easy to complain about children. But when we want to express our joy, our love, the words elude us. The feelings are almost so sacred they defy speech." -Joan McIntosh
Love you all very much,

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,  As one of those "other mothers" that you referred to in your previous entry (I'm assuming and KNOW I am one of those, as I remember vividly changing your diapers) I was thrilled to see an update and the wonderful pictures of your precious little boys!  I check this sight almost daily and am thrilled when I see any updates.  Your have such beautiful little boys and knowing what a wonderful mother you are, makes me so happy and so proud of you!  You have grown into such a remarkable woman and such a beautiful person.  My heart bursts every time I read your entries.  Don't let so much time go by with your entries, they make my day when I read them. I Love You!! Holly